Sunday, January 31, 2016

Sigurthr's Electrical Engineering Calculator

Sometime in 2014 I decided that I was tired of using online calculators for various common electrical engineering related equations. It was time consuming to use and annoying to keep track of. I shortly decided that I would write up a simple CLI program to act as a calculator for all these common equations. I completed about half of it by spring of 2015, and I filed it away to be completed later on. I pretty much forgot about it until early January of 2016, despite having a note on my whiteboard to finish the damn thing for the past year, haha. Thankfully I had it mostly done so it only took a few hours of coding to finish.

So, without further ado, I present my EE Calculator! Here is a screenshot of the function selection page so you can see everything it can do:

As you can see it is quite simple to use, but it is lightning fast and very light weight. Functions 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13, and 15 are favorites of mine that I use quite regularly. On the initialization of each function the equation used is displayed, and the variables requested are explained. The program loops once the function is finished so you don't have to start it again to choose a new selection. Entering 0 at the function select screen or clicking the exit X closes the process and shuts down the program with no hanging.


If you think of a formula or function you would like added to the program, just comment on this post and I'll see about adding it in!

Note that is is a .exe file so some browsers may object to downloading it simply because of the file type. Likewise, upon first run, Windows10 warns it may be unsafe, and you have to click "More Info" and then "Run Anyway" to get windows to allow it. It is 100% clean and free of any malware though, and passes all scans I can throw at it with antivirus programs. If you are unable to download it and want a zipped version, just contact me and I'll be happy to make one and upload it.

No comments:

Post a Comment